Monday, December 08, 2014

trust the process

[click on title for full post]





Today's Think Kit blog prompt: 

Rants & Raves

 
Get on your soapbox. What issue, idea, or stance were you vocal about this year? Or did you let it internally build up? Was there an event, person, or time that triggered your strong reaction? Or was it a slow-burn? Why do you feel so strongly – is it personal? Emotional? Strictly reasonable?
Show us some passion – make your argument from the mountaintop!

Well dang it. If I would have known that this was coming I would have used yesterday's magic wand for world peace and saved turn signals for today....

I like to think that I'm not a ranter and raver but I think I'm just kidding myself. My most entertaining rants are internal (I'm hilarious in my own mind) and typically during my once-a-week waitressing shift.

Don't get me wrong. I love my Saturday night job and have met wonderful folks while doing it. My Red Key job has led to great things including wonderful friendships, working at Second Helpings and several writing gigs. And the cash is nice too.

I also know that I'm an impatient person and try to do a good job of tamping that down, but that seems to fall apart on Saturday nights. Part of what I love about working at the Key is that I'm the hostess, server, cook (yep, cook!), cashier and dishwasher. Depending on how busy it is I might make the drinks also. I really like doing all of that, but it does get nuts.

My rant for customers everywhere is pretty simple: TRUST THE PROCESS. 

You don't need to tell us what order to do things in - I think it is pretty universal that drinks come first, then food, more drinks and more food if you want it, then the check.

You don't need to tell us what is in most drinks, unless it is a crazy shot that you learned about in a college bar last week.

You don't need to tell us to put the cottage cheese on the side. I swear it has never once occurred to me to plop it on your tenderloin, and I bet it is the same way for other waitresses also.

If a server tells you they are out of something, they are. We want to get you that potato salad as much as you want it. We're not hiding food from you. Swear.

When your group of six orders cocktails and glasses of water, just because we bring the cocktails first, it doesn't mean that we forgot the water, we just ran out of hands and we'll be right back with it.

That said, we do forget things. Feel free to remind us and know that we didn't forget to bring you hot sauce because we want to ruin your evening. We simply just forgot. 

Don't tell us to put everything "on the side, to make it easier on you." We're happy to put everything on side - we want you to be happy, but in no way is it easier.

Keep in mind the server is your advocate in the kitchen. They're the only thing between you and a knife-welding line cook. If they tell you the kitchen can't do something, know that they have tried their best to make it happen.

2 comments:

Granny Annie said...

All of my wait-staff grandchildren sincerely thank you:)

Granny Annie said...

Oh yes, and the one line cook especially thanks you.