Thursday, February 21, 2008

keys

We had a Board Retreat yesterday. If you've ever been part of a Board Retreat, you know it is a damn good idea to serve food and booze when it is over.

I offered to supply the drink part of the equation - I had lots of leftover beer and wine from the party.

I left the Chardonnay and beer in my truck (nature's cooler). I clanked three bottles of Cabernet in to the meeting with me. When the flip chart taped to the wall portion of the meeting started, I decided it was a good chance to run down (five flights of stairs) to get the other libations. I took my keys, hauled the goodies back upstairs and slipped back to the meeting. I just set my keys on the table I was sitting at.

Several of the board members and my CEO already think I'm a little quirky. Between bites of cheese and sips of wine I got lots of questions about the Red Key and my columns. I was assuring them that I had time to do it all. No problem, really.

When it was time to pack up (just once I want to go somewhere with out hauling something) my keys were no where to be found.

Great, just want I needed - to look flighty and irresponsible. I was really ticked off, but trying to stay calm and nonchalant. Which is hard, in the face of such brillent questions like: "What do they look like?" "Where did you leave them?" "Are you sure you had them today?"

I caught a ride home to grab my spare set. Luckily, I had someone looking at my bathroom that day, so I'd left keys hidden for him.

I really started freaking out the next morning realizing what was on the ring- keys to Second Helpings and the lock box, keys to Marigold, keys to the truck, keys to my house and keys to my tenant's house. Not that I was worried about anyone breaking in, but what a pain that would be to replace them.

I walked through the parking lot of the venue the next morning and ran in to see if they'd been found. No luck.

I got a call that afternoon. Someone had turned them in- apparently someone had picked them up and stuck them in their pocket. I'll be looking for guilty faces at the next board meeting.

2 comments:

Cliff said...

Maybe you'll also find the cup.

Granny Annie said...

Now, as a worry-wart mom type, I must tell you to change all your locks in case this person had copies made!!!!