Friday, August 08, 2008

indiana state fair day 3

My friend Scott and I walked to the fair from my house. I live a little over a mile from the fairgrounds. I love that our state fair is in midtown Indianapolis.

I was so busy talking that I didn't take many photographs.

Pioneer Village is my favorite corner of the fair. The building houses a log cabin, quilters, wood carvers, candle makers, old farm equipment and music.

These folks are singing hymns.

This Boone County bluegrass band, Cornfields and Crossroads was excellent.

The village has hundreds of old tractors, a working threshing ring, lumber mill, grist mill and syrup making. I'll remember to take photographs next time, I promise.


We stopped by to visit Harley, the World's Largest Boar (1121 pounds). This is the first time in my 40-ish years of attending the fair that I've ever seen the largest boar standing up.


Tonight's dinner: I revisited the ribeye sandwich - well worth the points.

We walked through the Hooks Pharmacy Museum. I was too busy looking at old bottles, buying postcards of vintage fair photographs and admiring the beautiful wood cases to take pictures.

The last time Scott and I went to the fair I took a spin on the Ferris Wheel. Which might be the last time I'll ever be on one. When I was young, Dad and I rode the Ferris Wheel at the county fair, I was so panicked and screamed so loud that Dad convince the guy running the ride to stop and let us off after one revolution. I convince myself to try it again every decade or so and it doesn't get any better, except that I've learned to suck it up and not scream.

Not only do I not like heights, but I worry about the safety of those things. Is it better that they are taken apart and hauled across the country often? At least the parts are checked regularly, but then are there new people in every town putting them together? Does our midway fate rest on a cotter pin? Ugggh-



This ride is much more my speed - as you can see from last year's spin through the midway.

I was fun to hear a little bit of Carrie Underwood's set as we walked and see the grandstand full of her fans.

We took another lap around the grounds and walked home on the trail. I feel better about riding my bike in the dark than I do walking. When ever I walk at night I stick to the streets, where I can run up to someones house if I feel hinky. My block of the trail is very dark from all of the trees, in fact I didn't recognize my own back yard when we got there. As it turned out the biggest danger was the police car driving fast down the trail.

Another great day at the fair. Wheeee!

5 comments:

Teresa said...

Did you get to do the tractor parade??

Jerry in Texas said...

I always wonder if the pigs can smell the pork products being served right outside the Swine Bldg. If so, are they thinking, "MMM. That smells good!" or "Miss Piggy, is that you?"

Ralph said...

Nora
I am trying to get caught up on blog reading. You have some great posts here but I must say just because you are banning Twizzler doesn't mean you can't buy for them a friend. You know which one I mean. HE likes Twizzler. He lives in COLORADO. Need more hints let me know.
Ralph

Elizabeth McQuern said...

Wow, I remember Hook's Drugs! That seems like a million years ago.

Cliff said...

Ahhh, Nora, that was way too short. I did get a good whif of the hog tho. He'll make good pepperoni won't he.
When he starts dating he's going to need a big girl.