Thursday, April 26, 2007

miss manners

Living alone, you fall in to bad habits.

No need to be especially tidy.

Dishes are stacked in the sink.
Nothing in the fridge but bottled water, diet Pepsi and beer.
Popcorn for dinner.
Mail is piled up on the sofa.
Hair products on the bathroom counter.
The ironing board is up in the bedroom.
The bed is a nest of books, pens and paper.
Don't even ask about the state of my desk...

There is one thing I cannot do --
Eat ice cream out of the carton.
I still have to put it in a dish, even for just one spoon full.

6 comments:

Cliff said...

It was that good Catholic girl upbringing.

Rachel said...

You are right, living alone has no need to be especially tidy! Heck, I'm not especially tidy and I don't live alone!

I can eat ice cream out of the carton. The only problem with that is knowing when to stop!

Anonymous said...

Nora,
I had a roommate in college who ate soup out of the pan. I just couldn't do it. I'm with you. Use a dish.

Ralph said...

Nora
So where are bad habits? I think a lot of people live like this - at least we do from time to time. I am with you on the ice cream thing. Also, I can't drink milk or anything else right from the carton - a glass is required.
Ralph

Jamie Dawn said...

I'm sure you can manage to break that ice cream bowl habit. A spoon in the carton is all you need.
But beware! If you are ever at someone else's house and you see little spoon sized divets in their ice cream carton from which they are about to serve YOU, politely decline the ice cream. :)

Happy Sunday, Miss Manners.

carmilevy said...

Hi Nora. I think a messy desk is a sign of a vibrant, creative mind. So bring on the piles!

BTW, I found your link on Jamie Dawn's blog and decided to follow it home. I'm glad I did, as your site is a compelling read. I love how you're so involved in your community.

I look forward to reading more of your work, and hope you'll pop by my blog as well.

All the best,

Carmi
http://writteninc.blogspot.com/