Monday, December 23, 2013

think kit day twenty-three - switch it up

 

 [Click on the title to read the full post]

Today's Think Kit blogging prompt: Look at your surroundings as if you're seeing them for the first time – take a walk in your 'hood, explore your basement, or visit a favorite spot. What do you notice?
 
I've been thinking about my work desk a lot. My job features frequent interruptions. Sometimes for actual fires and people bleeding on my carpeting. Other times it is for a question or to tell me a story or ask me to taste something. If I had to stop and file something every single time I got interrupted I'd spend all of my time filing.

I seem to work well amid the piles and chaos. I know where everything is. Really.

I've been know to spout off this Einstein quote at anyone looking askew at my desk, "If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?

And who decided what constitutes an efficient workplace? Why can't I give a superior look to clean desks?


I can question the norm of clean desks forever, but the reality is that people get judgy about office cleanliness. Today has been relatively quiet so I'm spent the day cleaning the desk - or at least putting things in to neat piles.

It won't last. Trust me.





No comments: