Monday, February 05, 2007

super! bowl

I went to watch the game at the local Knights of Columbus club, like the good Catholic girl that I am.
My friend Anne-Marie threw an over-the-top party there. Food, cowbells, three giant (7’ x 10’) televisions, confetti, pompoms and music.
I might have seen a beer or two around floating around.

My little brother, JR was at the game.
JR and I are very close, in that children-born-in-the-1960’s-of-a-Catholic-farm -family-that-does-not-express-our-emotions-kind-of-way.
We don’t cuss, hug each other or say “I love you,” and it works for all of us.

I am proud of how JR relates to his children. Lots of hugs, kisses and verbal affirmation.
JR and I still operate on the “head nod” way of showing affection. We never talk about it, but I know that I would throw myself under a train for him and he’s gone out of his way to protect me.

JR and I have some major philosophical differences. He’s a die-hard Republican and I’m a tree-hugging liberal. He lives in a newer neighborhood that has rules about mailboxes and grass mowing. I live in an urban neighborhood where I’m damn happy if my neighbors mow their lawn. He’s a Mariah Carey fan and I like punk-rock and Prince.
That said, we respect and support each other.

So, our text message exchange during the Super Bowl seemed like a deep conversation.

Nora: Are you getting wet?

JR: f*** yes

JR: Prince fn rocks

Nora: No shit! The best half-time show ever. I’m glad you are there.

You can see the first part of the half-time show on You Tube by clicking on the title of this post. I think those women dancing in high heels in the rain should get the MVP award.


I think that is the most we’ve sworn around each other, ever.
Don’t tell Dad.

I stopped a few places on my way home.
I drove through Broad Ripple, the artsy music-y part of town. Lots of people in the streets.
I went to a sports bar a few blocks from my house. It was crazy there—people dancing on tables and such. I thought about heading downtown, but I was tired.

Apparently my cat had ‘partied down’ during the game.
He threw-up on the living room floor when I got home.

3 comments:

Loner said...

You know, I think you live by where I used to live -I wanted to send you an e-mail- but you don't have an address posted!

Cliff said...

Well Nora, JR and I have a lot more in common that you and I. However you've kept it out of your blog. So I'm still here. And loving it.
I thought the half time show was closer to what it should be. They seem to have gotten over trying to make it into the Olympics Opening Ceremony.
I think the two best college marching bands in the country would be good enough entertainment..

Anonymous said...

Nora,
I love your description of how you and JR communicate. I can relate to that. Thank God for e-mail and text messaging to avoid all eye contact.

The heck with telling your Dad. I'm telling the priest that you cursed.