Sunday, May 05, 2013

may shower [of a different sort]

Vintage wrapping paper




                                                                                                                                                                                                                  






















My sweet cousin, Jessica is having a baby this summer. Which seems impossible, really, since  I was 18 when she was born. She and her dear husband live in Chicago and I don't see her nearly enough. 

The party was lovely - all of women first-cousins on Mom's side were there. I'm the oldest cousin and I'll admit to getting teary looking down the table and realizing what strong amazing women they've become - mothers, teachers, medical professionals, artists, business leaders - not a bad apple in the bunch! It was also fun to celebrate with Mom and my dear aunts. 

Mom gave Jess a beautiful statue and some Holy Water. My sisters and sister-in-law pitched in for a shared gift. We were semi-practical with the main gifts; monitoring system and music player, but I couldn't resist the Hello Kitty glitter lamp that was on her list. Can't introduce this little girl to sparkly things too soon. 

I bought a box of miscellaneous things at an auction of a distant cousin's estate sale a decade or so ago. There was a bounty of what is now vintage wrapping paper. I knew that Jessica would appreciate it so I wrapped the presents in the delicate paper.

I love having nothing on my schedule but church and the shower today. It's what I imagine Sundays are like for everyone else.

1 comment:

ps3 jailbreak said...

I was very pleased to find this website. I wanted to thank you for your time for this wonderful read!! I definitely enjoyed every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff on your blog.