Tuesday, January 25, 2011

how is it possible....


 ...that I'm qualified to speak to a senior level college class?

And maybe I'm not - but I spent an hour and a half tonight with a class focusing on nonprofits. I've learned over the course of hundreds of speeches that I do better without too many notes. I have a five minute talk about Second Helpings that I can give at the drop of a hat. It's easy to expand on all of our great programs for a more in-depth view of our agency. And it gives me a chance to throw out my best food rescue jokes. 

I was encouraged by the preparation and research the students had done and all of their great questions and the challenges to the way nonprofits are run. Before I started working for a nonprofit agency I had the thought in the back of my mind that nonprofits needed to be managed more like businesses. I've flipped that around, especially in this business climate - businesses could use the transparency of nonprofits. I am mindful that every decision I make and every dime I spend for Second Helpings needs to further our mission of feeding hungry people, training adults and rescuing food. I can't tell you how easy that makes the hard decisions.


On a side note, I was slightly distracted knowing that there were guys right outside the door playing Dungeons and Dragons - to further the stereotype, we were in the engineering building on campus. The Purdue (my alma mater) is the icing on the nerdiness cake.

No comments: